Monday, October 9, 2000

I'm feeling comfortably shagged

The unions came to uni today, I mean, I wouldn’t mind, but they were so HAPPY about it, shoving it down people’s throats... infact one guy actually handed me a sticker and said “wear this, it’ll piss the big guys off”.

If there’s one thing that’s always pissed ME off, it’s beliefs being shoved down my throat. I didn’t become a christian because my mother couldn’t shut up about God at home... no THAT my dears, drove me to satanism, the thing that drew me to becoming a christian was, infact, my hormones, God gave ‘em to me, so why shouldn’t He use ‘em to their best advantage? After much deliberation, and being pulled along by a pushy friend (sorry man) I went to a youth group and low and behold.... GUYS!

But I’m onto another story, so I’ll get back on topic....

There’s a guy who stands on Lambton Quay who walks with passers by, shouting “Jesus will save you from your sins! There is only one God!” into their faces and I honestly want to hurt that guy, not very christian of me I know, but it’s people like that I tell you!!

I, have, although I hate to admit it, been part of these pushy race of idiots, I wasted a whole New Years in fact, preaching to young children at the Mount in a motor camp... is there anyone worse then a preacher preying on your children?

Of course, I was mostly with the older teenage people at the camp, and pretty much refused to preach, I told them about God, yes, when they asked, I told my testimony, yes, when I felt there was a need there. And I was rewarded with my work when one of the guys came into my home church in January, a christian when he’d previously had nothing to do with it.

I’d actually like to see some statistics on pressured Christians vs the ones who made their own decisions... how many still believe in God, still pray and still go to church 2, 5, 10 years down the track?

So why do people still insist on shoving it down your throat?? I admire the choirs and churches in Manners Mall on a Friday witnessing and singing, in fact, I have been tempted to join what my friends and cousins refer to as the ‘crazy Christians’ just cos they’re having so much fun. I certainly don’t mind the guy with a giant board talking to what he refers to “all of you” which is usually just one or two drunks about God. They aren’t in your face and shouting it, if a person feels like they want to listen, they can, but if they don’t want to they can leave.

But Christians aren’t the only people who do this.. Jehovah Witnesses come to mind (sorry if any of you are part of this group). Late last year I was staying at my best mate’s house with him while his parents were away. Since the room I was in was closest to the door I answered it, to find two Jehovah Witnesses there. I dutifully took their magazines (which came in handy when a certain addict reader got trashed and puked all over them) and was nice to them, but they came back, about 6-9 times over the Summer looking for me, and asking for me by name!! It wasn’t until I asked a mate from school, who was of that persuasion to get them to stop that they did.

So why oh why oh why, when shoving beliefs down a person’s throat doesn’t work, do people still do it?!?!? This union today, were trying to buy people’s support with dinky highlighter yellow brochures (hint: highlighter yellow doesn’t work as well as canary yellow) and free sausages. They had lots of people near them... but I have a feeling that was due to being at a university and offering free food.

I certainly don’t know why people do it, maybe it’s just human nature.

No comments: