Saturday, January 20, 2001

Mosh Pit Etiquette

Big Day Out. Great stuff, let me tell you that right now. Where else could you be at the front for one of the best New Zealand bands (Betchadupa), then an hour later see one of the hottest new acts from the UK (Coldplay) from the same vantage point? Where else can you see two great stage shows (Rammstein and Limp Bizkit) within two hours? And where else will someone piss on your leg in the mosh pit?!?!

I'm sorry, but even a mosh pit has etiquette, and the guys behind me were oblivious to this fact.

However nasty that experience was, the concert went off, before Limp started I realised that I had got myself well and truly stuck, and knowing that the only way out (apart from up and over) would only come once they had started, I waited, and waited, and when I thought hope was near, the audience were shouting out "Limp Bizkit! Limp Bizkit!" Rammstein had stopped, and then... Rammstein started up again! ARG! When Rammstein was finally finished (it seems like an eternity when your arms can't move, your legs are tangled around each other and you keep stepping on peoples feet, while trying not to fall over) Fred Durst walked out saying "Ladies and Gentlemen!", and the audience were screaming out "introducing...." I got my opportunity to swim (literally) my way out of the mosh pit, to get an even better vantage point, which involved more air, less sweat and better sound.

It took me exactly one song to get out, and then I started to actually enjoy the concert.

Limp definitely hyped up the audience, played the hits (I was convinced they wouldn't play Faith, and very happy when they did) and did a good job getting the squashed people out of the audience (much better then what I heard Blink182 did anyway).

But as for the earlier part of the day, I did the markets, the food, the Boiler Room, the rides... and drank plenty of water!!

All in all it cost me much less then I had expected and I had a great time.

No comments: