Sunday, November 19, 2000

Ho ho ho and a bottle of Rum

Saw the Santa Parade today, over a month in advance, and just gave me more reasons to hate Christmas.

Well, the floats were ho-hum, there was not a Macintosh in sight and Santa was SO LAME it was past lame, past funny, it was annoying. He had a monotone voice that constantly was saying "hello? hello? ho..... ho.... ho.... hello?" in fact, I'd have to say, the most lively part of the whole thing was... wait for it... the More FM float, the ZM float and the McDonalds float (which really are three things I despise) More FM had their survivors on board, who I recognised from that TV doco which I ended up watching accidentally, the ZM one had Lions (the rugby team) on board and the McDonald's one had a very lively Ronald McDonald getting the little kiddies going.

I saw the stars from The Tribe, but didn't even recognise them until I got handed a "the Tribe fan club" card thing. If it was on TV2 or 3 I'd watch it, but something has to be PRETTY darn special to get me to watch it on TV4 since most of it's infomercials and cheesy American teenage sitcoms.

The two friends and I I'd gone with were most disappointed to get no Macintosh's, in fact, the lollipop one of them got got ripped out of her hand by the man who also got a Santa Hat from the ZM float! It didn't help that I didn't hear "Merry Christmas" once. What is a Santa Parade without Macintosh's and the Christmas Spirit? I went expecting a better parade then Rotorua, and came out with a much longer, worse one. One of my friends commented even the ones in Blenheim are better.

So 3 most disappointed Massey students trail into Te Papa to find a toilet, and travel to the 4th floor to find on that ISN'T packed, and then to New World, and try to get out of there quick as 'cos it's packed too.... darn it.

But today has given me a passion to boycott Christmas one year, not buy or receive any presents, not get up at 6.30, not go back to sleep a richer person an hour later, not to wake up just before the peanut butter sandwich dinner and not think about the Boxing Day sales... well maybe all but the last part. Am I the only person who actually, really loathes Christmas? I'm not sure what's happened.. I used to love it, but these days I can think of many more exiting days of the year, the only great thing about Christmas is the atmosphere of summer, holidays, and shopping. Bugger all this present crap, bugger the hours in the kitchen preparing a huge roast for a summers day, bugger breaking toys an hour after you get them, I just want to go back to sleep and eat my peanut butter sandwich in peace.

But as it stands, this year I want my Big Day Out ticket :-P

No comments: