Saturday, August 26, 2000

The Good, The Bad, and The Horribly Disformed

A wise person once pointed out to me a handy fact, a fact that always makes me feel better when things go to shit, and something that has always helped out my friends and talked a few people out of doing something they could regret later, if they got that opportunity, and today, I am going to point this fact out to you, my
loyal readers, who for some reason continue to read my column.

Life is 80% good and 20% shit, but it is human nature to concentrate on the 20%

A good example is how women want larger breasts, then, having taken steps to get what they want, find that their breasts now make their back hurt, they didn’t appreciate it either way. Another is people growing older and getting wrinkles, they don’t seem to concentrate on the fact that at least wrinkles don’t hurt.

Look on the bright side people, there always is one.

Yes, I’m an optimist, I can see the good in all situations and the glass is always half full.

Next time you feel like you’re having a shit day, look for the good bits, which are often overshadowed by the few moments of unhappiness during the day.

Last December I had a friend stay with me, we had a great time, we hooned around Rotorua in various cars, went to a camp and threw various bits of food around (icecream, cheese...), tested a Ginsu Knife (yes they do actually cut thru cans), went shopping, and generally had a good time. But, on the last couple of days she was with us, she made a mistake that she regrets. A month down the line and she was unhappy, we were chatting on IRC and I told her my little fact, and she asked me to prove it, I typed what could be printed out onto 1 1/2 pages of fun, interesting and cool things we did. Then I asked her to tell me all the bad things, and she could only site this one incident.

True story, she reads my column, and is almost guaranteed to comment on it once she reads this.

Try it.

No comments: