Thursday, August 17, 2000

Karma Police

As some may know, and some may not, at this point in time, I am training to become a chef at Massey University Wellington. This might seem like a good career move, and for a year or so I have thought so too, but recently I have decided otherwise. Over the last 5 to 6 weeks I have been facing some major hurdles in my life. Most of which refer to where my life is heading. To make this story clear I may have to back pedal so the following paragraph gives you history of myself.

Since I was about 8 I have wanted to be a teacher. I have wanted to share and give knowledge to young people and have a lot of holidays ;P. This has been my passion since I was eight. When I was about 15 my mother suggested I might make a good journalist; I was good with English, and have a penchant for finding
out stuff (which I must agree with her on) but soon after trying a 6th form Journalism course decided against this. From there my gaze shifted to becoming a chef, I wanted to own a small cafe in Wellington which I would call The Cursing Granny. For this dream my course is relevant, it teaches Chef skills while teaching the business and service aspect at the same time. However, my heart hasn’t been in it at all. I now regret not doing seventh form and for the last month or so all I’ve wanted is to get out of there and teach.

So, with this in mind, today I went to the Coca Cola Careers Expo with the idea of talking to some people and seeing if this dream is attainable. As it stands, yes, it is within my reach. In fact, my chef’s course, piled with my sixth form results gives me almost certain acceptance. As it stands, teacher’s colleges prefer for a student to have been to a tertiary education and have had successful results prior to teacher training. Which is great news for me. Although I love cooking, and enjoy finding out the tips and tricks of professionals and learning
real stuff about food. I don’t want to be stuck in a kitchen in a silly white suit getting crap hours and lousy pay for the rest of my life. I want something where I can make a difference in a person’s life and be doing something I enjoy. So I am returning to my passion, teaching.

Which is weird, because so many people I know are in my boat, a girl in my class doesn’t like the course and wants to teach music, and my cousin began a few BA papers at Auckland University in education this semester.

The only problem I’ve got now is deciding where to go to learn to teach. Of course, I won’t start my training until after my Diploma has finished, at the end of 2001, but I’m thinking Otago or Canterbury, possibly Palmerston North, but that place, to be honest, is a bit of a hole (yes, I DO know, I was born there) and well, I just don’t like Auckland.

Having said all that I’m sure my friends and my parents are saying “What about Wellington?!?!” I’ve been in love with this city for so long, but now, it doesn’t hold the same spark, I want to see the rest of New Zealand.

Once again a big thank you to all the people who supported me through my last column, it’s really appreciated. That was one of the things I’ve been thinking through recently, at the moment is a huge change of direction for my life, and I want to share it with you all, the good, AND the bad :)

No comments: