Friday, July 28, 2000

How RUDE!!

I know it's cheesy to put a early-90s-sitcom quote as my topic, but it sum's it up quite nicely.

While out today on my "I don't have classes *jump for joy* but I need groceries and the third part of my book series cos I just finished the second although I had to stay up all night to do so" shopping trip I went to Bellamy's Bookshop in Cuba Mall, I wanted the third part, and have found this shop to have a copy or two on previous excursions, in fact, this is where I found the first part, but I digress. Having entered with a pack on my back (as I needed to take in books to exchange to get the one I wanted cheaply and also wanted something to carry my groceries home in), so I followed the signs posted around the place which read "Please leave bags at front counter" and asked the lady behind the counter if I could leave it there, she turned around and said, what I figured out to be (as she had a heavy accent of some European origin) "Put it out the back" now I thought this was odd, so I replied "I'm just going over there" (while pointing about 2 metres away at the Fantasy section) and she said, very angrily and rudely "put it on your back! Can you do that? Put it on your back!" To this I felt like saying "fuck you!" and leaving, but I said, amazingly calmly "OK" looked at the book, decided I wasn't going to spend my money there, even if it was the last copy in Wellington and left.

Facing a dilemma of knowing other second hand bookshops in Cuba Street didn't stock this series, and I really wanted it, I had to use my brain. I knew the only other place that had it was on the other end of Courtenay Place, to which I happily trotted, to find the book $5 cheaper, and with the books I traded I ended up getting it free and $2 cash, the people there treated me nicely, and even though it's out of my way, I will be going there again.

No comments: